Everyone it seems is doing "social networking" on-line these days, but somehow I just can't get myself to use most of those sites. The rampant irresponsibility with which many of those sites are used and run simply scares me. Currently the only site like this that I have an active membership at is CafeMom and I am even starting to re-think that one, which is sad since in many ways I see it as a very positive concept.
I am a very private person and thanks to my close association with my husband (a techno-geek specializing in computer security) I'm also a little paranoid when it comes to protecting my identity, especially when I'm on-line. I'm one of those people that when you look them up you might get a user nickname and a thought bubble, but everything else is limited to "friends only"- the exception, of course, being this blog and the occasional re-posts from here that I put up in CafeMom's journals section- though due to changing rules regarding journals, that will soon stop too.
I think what scares me most about sites like Facebook is that not only do the people who have profiles there not use the tools available to protect their personal information, but the sites themselves have been shown to be insecure and yet it seems that everyone keeps using them anyway.
The one service like this that I have heard of that truly seems to be worth trying is one of the newest ones on the web- Google +. Though I have not signed up for it myself yet, I am encouraged by what I am hearing from friends who have and, perhaps most importantly to me, from my husband who signed up a few days ago at the urging of friends that he trusts.
No comments:
Post a Comment