Welcome!

Thanks for checking out my blog. Please note that while I do not set out to intentionally offend anyone, I am opinionated and make no apologies for my opinions, so continue reading at your own risk. =)

~JADE

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Double Standards for Sex Offenders?

I just came across an article that really upset me.
http://femalesexoffenders.com/fso/index.php/the-news/355-rachel-brock-pleads-guilty

Now, first off, I would like to say that I'm not terribly happy with the way that the sex offender lists are supposed to work anyway. When used as intended, the system is set up to basically destroy the chances that any normal semblance of life can be achieved by anyone who has ever failed to use common sense enough to choose a willing sexual partner who is also legally old enough to make that choice. As a parent I fully understand the mentality that would want that, but as a human being that knows that one mistake doesn't define a person I have to protest the idea that all people who have once upon a time committed an error in judgement should be automatically viewed as horrible people for the rest of their lives. But whether I like it or not this is currently the law of the land.

What makes this system even worse in my opinion, is the ease with which the system is abused to punish people who do not deserve it. For example, I personally know a gentleman that as a teenager had a consensual relationship with another teen, but her parents pressed charges for rape and it stuck. Now the poor guy is on the sex offender list for life despite the fact that he was only 16 at the time and his 15 yr old girlfriend was very open about the fact that she had NOT been forced. It's been nearly 15 yrs now and that man is still paying for that one bad choice.

This article, however, led me to discover a whole new way that the system is apparently being abused- by apparently not applying the same rules to women.

I am a big fan of being a woman who has the ability to own property, to vote and press charges against people who actually hurt me, but more and more lately I have been seeing news articles about women who are insisting that they get more lenience on top of it all. I am not a huge fan of the sex offender list program, but if you are going to have a system like that, it needs to be applied equally to everyone. It's no wonder there are so many men's rights groups with rapidly growing numbers! Ladies, if you expect guys to respect you and treat you fairly, you are only shooting yourself in the foot to then turn around and demand special treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment